Pot luck? Not so here - this is guaranteed to thrill, warm and delight!
The ingredient of Moroccan chicken, carrot and chickpea soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1.6kg whole chicken
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Harissa (see note), to serve
The instruction how to make Moroccan chicken, carrot and chickpea soup
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan or stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, capsicum, celery and carrot. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add coriander, cumin and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Rinse chicken under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel. Trim excess fat. Add barley, chicken (breast-side down) and 8 cups cold water to pan. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through. Remove pan from heat. Stand, covered, for 30 minutes. Transfer chicken to a bowl. Cool for 20 minutes. Remove and discard skin and bones. Shred chicken.
- Return pan to heat. Skim surface. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add shredded chicken and chickpeas. Simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with coriander leaves and harissa.
Nutritions of Moroccan chicken, carrot and chickpea soupfatContent: 466.05 calories
saturatedFatContent: 17.4 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 4.1 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 28.1 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 45.4 grams protein
sodiumContent: 143 milligrams cholesterol