The ingredient of Ploughmans soup
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped, plus extra celery sticks to serve
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 50g sliced pancetta, rind removed, roughly chopped
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 175ml dry cider
- 2 cups (500ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 thyme sprig
- 2 cups (240g) grated mature cheddar, plus extra good-quality cheddar to serve
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Crusty bread rolls, to serve
- Chutney, to serve
The instruction how to make Ploughmans soup
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic and pancetta and gently cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until softened slightly but not coloured.
- Add the apple and stir to combine, then add the cider, stock and thyme. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes until the apple is softened. Remove from heat, add the grated cheddar and stand for 10 minutes.
- Discard the thyme sprig, then blend the mixture with a stick blender until smooth (or puree in batches in a blender). Season the soup with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Transfer to a vacuum flask or thermos to transport to the picnic. Garnish with parsley. Serve with bread, chutney and extra cheddar and celery.
Nutritions of Ploughmans soupfatContent: 476.088 calories
saturatedFatContent: 32 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 16 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 25 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 24 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 20 grams protein
sodiumContent: 52 milligrams cholesterol