A quick and tasty winter soup for the whole family, best enjoyed with loads of crusty bread!
The ingredient of Chicken noodle soup with mint gremolata
- 85g (1/3 cup) dried yellow split peas
- 1 tablespoon Massel vegetable stock powder
- 1 whole barbecued chicken
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 large leeks
- 80ml (1/3 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch mint
- 1 lemon
- 100g vermicelli pasta
- Crusty bread (optional), to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken noodle soup with mint gremolata
- Place split peas in a sieve and rinse well under running water. Place in a large saucepan. Add 2L water and stock powder, bring to a simmer over medium heat, then cook for 20 minutes, skimming froth from the top, or until peas are almost tender.
- Meanwhile, strip meat with skin from the chicken and discard bones. Remove skin from meat, finely chop and reserve. Shred meat into chunky strips.
- Roughly chop celery and white part of leeks. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, leeks and chicken skin, and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until soft. Crush 3 cloves garlic into the pan and stir for a further minute or until fragrant. Add vegetable mixture to split pea mixture, even if the split peas are not yet cooked.
- Meanwhile, to make mint gremolata, pick leaves from mint, roughly chop and place in a bowl. Zest lemon over mixture and crush in remaining garlic clove. Squeeze over 1/2 lemon, add remaining 2 tablespoons oil and stir to combine.
- Break pasta strands in half, add to split pea mixture and cook for 3 minutes or until al dente. Divide half the chicken among bowls. Spoon over most of the soup, then top with remaining chicken, a little more soup and a spoonful of the mint gremolata. Serve chicken noodle soup with crusty bread, if using.
Nutritions of Chicken noodle soup with mint gremolatafatContent: 719.629 calories
saturatedFatContent: 30 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 7 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 31 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 3 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 77 grams protein
sodiumContent: 238 milligrams cholesterol