Master the classic dish of French onion soup and serve with slices of crunchy cheese bread for authenticity.
The ingredient of French onion soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.2kg brown onions, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 day old baguette, sliced
- 120g extra light tasty cheese, finely grated
The instruction how to make French onion soup
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 40 minutes or until onion is well browned (see note). Add stock and wine. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for about 1 hour. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill. Place bread slices on a large baking tray. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes, each side, or until golden. Sprinkle 1 side of bread slice with the grated tasty cheese. Grill for 2 minutes or until cheese is golden and melted.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with bread. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of French onion soupfatContent: 510.504 calories
saturatedFatContent: 14.8 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 4.4 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 48.5 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 23.6 grams protein
sodiumContent: 6 milligrams cholesterol