Warm up with this chicken soup rich in Asian flavours.
The ingredient of Hot and sour chicken broth
- 1.5L (6 cups) chicken consomme or Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 2 (about 200g each) chicken breast fillets
- 4 cm piece fresh ginger, extra, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 2 purple Asian shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 2 red birdseye chillies, seeded (optional), thinly sliced
- 1 cup (65g) bean sprouts
- 1 cup Vietnamese mint leaves
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
The instruction how to make Hot and sour chicken broth
- Place the consomme or stock, star anise, cinnamon stick, sliced ginger, lemongrass and chicken in a large saucepan. Place over high heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and broth is fragrant. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to a bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- Use your fingers to finely shred the chicken. Combine the extra ginger, shallots, lime leaves, chilli, bean sprouts, mint and coriander in a medium bowl.
- Strain the stock mixture through a fine sieve and discard the solids. Add the lime juice and fish sauce to the stock mixture. Taste and season with lime juice and fish sauce.
- Arrange the shredded chicken among serving bowls. Ladle the stock mixture over the chicken. Top with the herb salad and serve immediately.
Nutritions of Hot and sour chicken brothfatContent: 215.1 calories
saturatedFatContent: 2 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 1 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 11 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 9 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 36 grams protein