This tasty dish willl keep your family warm on those cold winter nights.
The ingredient of Smoked pork hock and vegetable soup
- 1 kg smoked pork hock
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large bulb of fennel, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced into chunks
- 1/2 bunch celery, diced into chunks
- 1 large celeriac, diced into chunks
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 2l salt reduced chicken stock
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- Crusty bread, to serve
The instruction how to make Smoked pork hock and vegetable soup
- Place pork hock in large bowl and pour boiling water over the hock, drain and set aside
- In a large pot, add oil and cook the onion and garlic for 5 minutes, or until onion is transparent.
- Add all other vegetables to the pot and cook for a further 5 minutes or so, until slightly softened. Stir in the tomato paste.
- In a separate frying pan, add fennel seeds and on low heat dry fry them for about 5 minutes. Do not let them burn.
- Add pork hock, fennel seeds, chilli and stock to pot and bring up to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and allow soup to cook for about 2 u2013 2 1/2 hours. Top up with more stock or water as needed but not so much to dilute the flavour of the soup.
- When pork hock meat is very tender, remove hock from pot, remove the meat from the pot and shred into large chunks. Return the meat to the pot with the beans and season with salt and more chilli if desired. Serve with crusty bread.
Nutritions of Smoked pork hock and vegetable soupfatContent: 551.851 calories
saturatedFatContent: 20.8 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 6.8 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 34.3 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 9.8 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 56.5 grams protein
sodiumContent: 153 milligrams cholesterol