This tomato soup is great for the kids - low in sodium, low in saturated fat and high in fibre.
The ingredient of Tomato and bread soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 3 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1.5kg ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- Pinch caster sugar
- 100g stale ciabatta bread, torn
- 50g ciabatta bread, toasted, cut into cubes, to serve
The instruction how to make Tomato and bread soup
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, basil and zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion and zucchini have softened. Add tomato. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add stock and sugar. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally or until tomatoes have collapsed and soup has reduced slightly.
- Meanwhile, place torn ciabatta in a shallow bowl. Add 2 cups cold water. Stand 10 minutes or until bread has softened. Add bread mixture to soup. Stir to combine. Cook for 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from heat. Cool for 5 minutes. Blend soup, in batches, until smooth. Return to pan over low heat. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through. Season with pepper. Top with ciabatta cubes to serve.
Nutritions of Tomato and bread soupfatContent: 241.39 calories
saturatedFatContent: 6.5 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 1.1 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 29.8 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 11.2 grams protein
sodiumContent: 2 milligrams cholesterol