Look for pumpkin with a rich, dense orange flesh, and team it with a spicy/sour Thai fish curry light on coconut milk.
The ingredient of Thai fish & pumpkin soup
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 200ml light coconut milk
- 3 cups (750ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock (see notes)
- 4 Asian (red) eschalots, thinly sliced (see Notes)
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded (optional) (see Notes)
- 250g pumpkin, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 green capsicum, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons tamarind puree (see Notes)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 600g skinless chunky fish fillets (such as blue eye, ling or snapper), cut into 3cm pieces
- 100g baby spinach leaves
The instruction how to make Thai fish & pumpkin soup
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk, stock, eschalot, chilli and kaffir lime leaves, if using, and stir to combine. Add pumpkin, capsicum, tamarind, fish sauce, sugar and a pinch of salt and cook for 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Add fish and simmer for 5 minutes or until the fish is opaque.
- Place half the spinach in 4 warm bowls and top with the fish and veg. Scatter with remaining spinach, then ladle the sauce over the top and serve.
Nutritions of Thai fish & pumpkin soupfatContent: 343.443 calories
saturatedFatContent: 12.1 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 3.8 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 21.6 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 36.9 grams protein
sodiumContent: 77 milligrams cholesterol