A little apple goes a long way to adding sweetness and depth to the flavours in this baked beetroot soup.
The ingredient of Baked beetroot and apple soup
- 500g fresh beetroot, peeled, grated
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 100g green apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 fresh bay leaf*
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1.5L (6 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 300ml thickened cream, plus extra to serve
- Mustard cress* or chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
The instruction how to make Baked beetroot and apple soup
- Preheat the oven to 140u00b0C. Combine all the ingredients, except the cream and cress or parsley, in a casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper, cover with foil and bake for 4 hours. Discard the bay leaf and set aside to cool slightly. Puree the mixture in a blender, in batches, until smooth, then transfer to a saucepan.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper, stir in the cream and reheat gently, without boiling. Ladle the soup among bowls and swirl in some extra cream. Garnish with mustard cress or chopped parsley.
Nutritions of Baked beetroot and apple soupfatContent: 256.925 calories
saturatedFatContent: 20 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 12 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 14 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 13 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 4 grams protein