Warm up from the inside with a substantial fennel soup with flavours of aniseed and apple.
The ingredient of Fennel and apple soup with fennel seed toast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (about 900g) fennel bulbs, fronds reserved, coarsely chopped
- 2 green apples, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1.25L (5 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 small French bread stick (baguette), cut into 12 thin slices
- Double cream, to serve
The instruction how to make Fennel and apple soup with fennel seed toast
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic, fennel and apple. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until the apple starts to soften. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Blend half the fennel mixture in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan. Repeat with remaining fennel mixture. Cook the soup over medium heat for 2 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200u00b0C. Combine extra virgin olive oil, fennel seeds, oregano and lemon rind in a small bowl. Place bread on a baking tray and brush with oil mixture. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- divide soup among serving bowls. Top with cream and reserved fennel fronds. serve with fennel seed toast.
Nutritions of Fennel and apple soup with fennel seed toastfatContent: 218.207 calories
saturatedFatContent: 14 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 2 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 18 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 12 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 4 grams protein