Crispy corn fritters are the perfect addition to this Mexican-inspired, gluten free chicken and black bean soup.
The ingredient of Chipotle pulled chicken and black bean soup with corn fritters
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (about 500g) chicken breast fillets
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chipotle chillies in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 2 teaspoons extra, to serve
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander stem, finely chopped, leaves reserved
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1L (4 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 155g (3/4 cup) white quinoa
- 400ml can tomato puree
- 400g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 180g (2/3 cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- Lime wedges, to serve
- 50g (1 cup) chickpea (besan) flour
- 1 egg
- 400g can corn kernels, rinsed, drained
- 3 green shallots, thinly sliced
- Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
The instruction how to make Chipotle pulled chicken and black bean soup with corn fritters
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken. Cook, turning, for 6 minutes or until browned (the chicken wonu2019t be cooked through at this point). Transfer to a plate.
- Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until softened. Add chipotle, coriander stem, cumin and garlic. Cook until aromatic.
- Add stock and 500ml (2 cups) water. Bring to the boil. Add the chicken, quinoa and tomato puree. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 8 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate. Cool slightly. Use 2 forks to shred the chicken.
- Increase heat to high and bring soup to the boil. Cook for a further 6-8 minutes, until quinoa is tender. Stir in beans until warmed through.
- For fritters, place flour in a bowl. Season. Add the egg and 125ml (1/2 cup) water and stir until combined. Stir in corn and shallot. Heat 1cm oil in a large, deep frying pan over high heat. Cook heaped teaspoonfuls of mixture, in 2 batches, turning, for 4 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
- Place yoghurt in a small bowl. Swirl through extra chipotle chilli.
- Divide soup and shredded chicken among serving bowls. Top with yoghurt, corn fritters and reserved coriander. Serve with lime.
Nutritions of Chipotle pulled chicken and black bean soup with corn frittersfatContent: 823.355 calories
saturatedFatContent: 32 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 6 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 71 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 54 grams protein