Take soups from starters to the main event with this top recipe. Its hearty, tasty and budget-friendly, too.
The ingredient of Chicken, corn and bacon chowder
- 20g butter
- 3 rindless bacon rashers, coarsely chopped
- 6 shallots, ends trimmed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 750ml (3 cups) milk
- 500ml (2 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 3 corncobs, kernels removed
- 450g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
- 600g potatoes, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
The instruction how to make Chicken, corn and bacon chowder
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon, stirring, for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Add three-quarters of the shallot. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until soft.
- Add the flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in the milk, stock and bay leaves.
- Place the pan over medium-high heat. Add the corn and stir until the mixture comes to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Stir in the chicken and potato. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken and potato are cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among serving bowls and sprinkle with the remaining shallot.
Nutritions of Chicken, corn and bacon chowderfatContent: 625.463 calories
saturatedFatContent: 28 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 12 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 47 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 17 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 42 grams protein
sodiumContent: 148 milligrams cholesterol