There are many variations of this sweet and sour soup, but weve added noodles and Asian greens to make it more substantial.
The ingredient of Chicken and noodle tom yum
- 200g dried rice stick noodles
- 50g sachet tom yum paste (see note)
- 1L Massel chicken style liquid stock or water
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 3cm piece ginger
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 bunch gai lan (Chinese broccoli)
- 600g chicken breast or thigh fillets
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 lime
- 1 long red chilli (optional)
- 1/4 bunch coriander
The instruction how to make Chicken and noodle tom yum
- Place noodles in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water, then stand for 8 minutes or until softened but still slightly firm. Drain.
- Meanwhile, place paste, stock and 500ml (2 cups) boiling water in a saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat. Using the flat of a knife, bash lemongrass to flatten slightly, then cut into 5cm lengths. Peel and cut ginger into julienne. Add lemongrass and ginger to stock mixture, then tear in lime leaves. Reduce heat to lowu2013medium.
- Trim 5cm from ends of gai lan, then cut stems from leaves. Cut stems into 5cm lengths and quarter any thick stems. Coarsely shred leaves. Add stems to soup and cook for 4 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, cut chicken into 5mm-wide strips.
- Stir sugar, fish sauce, gai lan leaves and chicken into soup and cook for a further 2 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat. Squeeze over lime juice. Divide noodles among bowls, then spoon over soup. Slice chilli, if using, then scatter over soup. Tear over coriander sprigs to serve.
Nutritions of Chicken and noodle tom yumfatContent: 343.921 calories
saturatedFatContent: 6 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 3 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 30 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 7 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 40 grams protein
sodiumContent: 89 milligrams cholesterol