This tasty chicken stock makes a versatile and healthy base for many different meals and soups.
The ingredient of Basic chicken stock
- 1.5kg chicken wings, cut into pieces
- 5 litres water
- 1 leek, halved, washed, sliced
- 1 unpeeled onion, cut into quarters
- 3 unpeeled carrots, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 bouquet garni (see note)
The instruction how to make Basic chicken stock
- Wash chicken pieces. Place into a large heavy-based saucepan. Pour over water. Bring to the boil, uncovered, over medium heat. Using a slotted spoon, skim off and discard any residue that forms on surface.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, skimming surface every 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add vegetables and bouquet garni. Cook, uncovered, for 2 hours. Turn heat off. Stand for 1 hour to cool (dont move or stir the stock).
- Line a sieve with muslin. Place over a large heatproof bowl or jug. Ladle stock into sieve. Discard vegetables and bouquet garni. Set aside to cool. Refrigerate overnight. Use a metal spoon to remove and discard fat from top of stock. Store in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutritions of Basic chicken stockfatContent: