Bubble and squeak is traditionally made with the leftovers from a roast dinner. Inspired by these flavours, Valli Little has used Brussels sprouts, leek, potato and bacon to make this deeply satisfying winter soup.
The ingredient of Bubble & squeak soup
- 30g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1L (4 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 300g Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (125ml) pure (thin) cream, plus extra to serve
- 6 bacon rashers
- Croutons, to serve
The instruction how to make Bubble & squeak soup
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan with 1 tablespoon oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, leek and garlic and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the stock and potato, then increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes or until potato is tender. Add the sliced sprouts and cook for a further 5-6 minutes until tender. Season, then add nutmeg. Cool slightly, then in batches, blend until smooth. Return soup to the pan over low heat. Add cream and stir until heated through.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, turning, for 4-5 minutes until crisp. Drain on paper towel, cool slightly, then roughly chop.
- Divide the soup among 6 serving bowls and drizzle with extra cream. Garnish with bacon, croutons and Brussels sprouts leaves, if desired, then season and serve immediately.
Nutritions of Bubble & squeak soupfatContent: 386.702 calories
saturatedFatContent: 34 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 14 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 8 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 3 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 13 grams protein
sodiumContent: 66 milligrams cholesterol