Christmas cheer and cherries go hand in hand, and a festive tipple makes the occasion even merrier, so weve found a way to combine the two.
The ingredient of Chocolate fudge and cherry sponge roll
- 3 eggs
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 75g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau liqueur
- 1 x 250g ctn mascarpone
- 200g (1 cup) drained canned pitted black cherries
- Cocoa powder, extra, to dust
- 1 x 200g pkt good-quality dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
The instruction how to make Chocolate fudge and cherry sponge roll
- Preheat oven to 200u00b0C. Line a 20 x 30cm (base measurement) Swiss roll pan with non-stick baking paper.
- Use an electric beater to beat the eggs and caster sugar in a bowl until thick and pale, and a ribbon trail forms when beaters are lifted. Sift flour and cocoa over the egg mixture and use a large metal spoon to gently fold until just combined. Spoon mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Immediately turn the cake onto a clean tea towel and remove the baking paper. Starting with a long side closest to you, and using the tea towel as a guide, firmly roll up the cake. Wrap the tea towel around the cake and place, seam-side down, on a tray. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the chocolate sauce, combine the chocolate, cream and brown sugar in a saucepan and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
- Unroll the cake and brush with Cointreau. Spread the cake evenly with mascarpone. Spread half the chocolate sauce over mascarpone and sprinkle with cherries. Roll up firmly to enclose filling. Wrap in plastic wrap and place, seam-side down, in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.
- Place cake on a serving platter and dust with extra cocoa. Place remaining chocolate sauce over low heat and stir for 2-3 minutes or until warm. Drizzle cake with the remaining chocolate sauce and cut into slices to serve.
Nutritions of Chocolate fudge and cherry sponge rollfatContent: