Chocolate is not only for the kids, let the adults indulge too with these decadent tarts.
The ingredient of Chocolate meringue pies
- 300g (2 cups) plain flour
- 200g chilled butter, chopped
- 45g (1/4 cup) icing sugar mixture
- 35g (1/3 cup) cocoa powder
- 4-5 tablespoons milk
- 1 x 200g pkt good-quality dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 4 egg whites
- 215g (1 cup) caster sugar
- Thin cream, to serve
The instruction how to make Chocolate meringue pies
- Place the flour, butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder in the bowl of a food processor and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the milk and process until dough just comes together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Divide pastry into 8 equal portions. Use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll out 1 portion to a 4mm-thick disc. Line a 3cm-deep, round 8cm (base measurement) fluted tart tin, with removable base, with pastry and trim any excess. Repeat with the remaining pastry. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Preheat oven to 200u00b0C. Cover pastry cases with baking paper and fill with pastry weights, rice or dried beans. Place on a baking tray. Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and pastry weights, rice or dried beans. Bake for a further 10 minutes or until crisp.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180u00b0C. Combine the chocolate and cream in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring with a metal spoon, for 5 minutes or until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Add the egg and stir until well combined. Spoon chocolate mixture among pastry cases. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until just set.
- To make the meringue, use an electric beater to whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until firm peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture is thick and glossy.
- Spoon meringue mixture among chocolate tarts. Bake in oven for 5-6 minutes or until light brown. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool. Divide among serving plates and serve drizzled with cream, if desired.
Nutritions of Chocolate meringue piesfatContent: 738.271 calories
saturatedFatContent: 42 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 26 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 79 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 48 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 11 grams protein
sodiumContent: 146 milligrams cholesterol