With its deep, robust flavour and unmistakable aroma, coffee creates an altogether different high when it stars in decadent desserts.
The ingredient of Chocolate coffee roulade
- Melted butter, for greasing
- 200g good-quality dark cooking chocolate (like Plaistowe Cooking Chocolate), chopped
- 60mls (1/4 cup) water
- 6 eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 110g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot water
- 250mls (1 cup) thickened cream
The instruction how to make Chocolate coffee roulade
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Brush a 25 x 31cm (base measurement) Swiss roll pan with melted butter to grease. Line pan with non-stick baking paper, cutting into the corners to fit.
- Combine chocolate and water in a heat-resistant bowl and place over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, or until melted and smooth (see microwave tip). Remove the bowl from heat and set aside.
- Use electric beaters to beat egg yolks and sugar in a medium mixing bowl until very pale and thick and a ribbon trail forms when beaters are lifted. Use a large metal spoon to fold in the chocolate mixture until combined.
- Use clean, dry electric beaters to beat egg whites in a separate medium mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Fold a large spoonful of egg whites into chocolate mixture and then fold in the remaining whites until evenly combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan and gently smooth the surface.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and immediately cover with a piece of non-stick baking paper and then a damp tea towel. Stand for 30 minutes or until cooled.
- Meanwhile: to make the filling, combine the coffee and water in a medium bowl and stir to dissolve. Add the cream and use electric beaters or a hand whisk to whisk until soft peaks form.
- Place another piece of non-stick baking paper slightly larger than the roulade on a work surface and dust evenly with cocoa powder. Remove tea towel and baking paper from top of roulade. Turn the roulade onto the cocoa-dusted paper. Remove baking paper on top and discard. Spread filling evenly over roulade. Starting at the short side closest to you and using the baking paper underneath as a guide, firmly roll up the roulade. Wrap the baking paper around the roulade and place, seam-side down, on a tray. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving
Nutritions of Chocolate coffee rouladefatContent: 359.217 calories
saturatedFatContent: 24 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 14 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 28 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 27 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 8 grams protein
sodiumContent: 196 milligrams cholesterol