Fill the twists and folds of this stunning cake with bursts of chocolate and cherry.
The ingredient of Cherry and chocolate babka with cherry port drizzle
- 14g (1 tablespoon) dried yeast
- 185ml (3/4 cup) milk, warmed
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 450g (3 cups) bread flour
- 3 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 150g butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 220g (2/3 cup) cherry conserve
- 200g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 600g fresh cherries, stems intact
- 250ml (1 cup) port
- 215g (1 cup) caster sugar, extra
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Vanilla ice-cream or double cream, to serve
The instruction how to make Cherry and chocolate babka with cherry port drizzle
- Combine the yeast, milk and 1 tsp sugar in a small bowl. Cover. Set aside for 10 minutes or until frothy. Stir in the eggs and yolk.
- Combine the flour, salt, cardamom and remaining sugar in a large bowl. Add the egg mixture and stir to form a soft dough. Transfer to an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. With the motor running, add the butter, 1 piece at a time, until combined and a smooth and silky dough forms. Place in a greased bowl. Cover. Set aside in a warm place to prove for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Grease a 7.5cm-deep, 10.5 x 23.5cm (base measurement) loaf pan and line base and sides with baking paper. Punch down dough. Turn onto a work surface and gently knead until smooth. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a 30 x 45cm rectangle. Spread dough with the conserve, leaving a 2cm margin along the 1 long side furthest away from you. Sprinkle with the chocolate. Starting from the long side closest to you, tightly roll up the dough. Trim the ends. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough in half lengthways. Press 2 ends together and twist the halves together. Press ends to seal. Carefully transfer to the prepared pan. Cover and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until dough is almost doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Cover the top of the dough with baking paper and bake, on lowest oven shelf, removing baking paper halfway through cooking, for 50 minutes or until babka is golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow babka to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack for 30 minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, reserve 12 whole cherries. Pit remaining cherries. Combine the port and extra sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Add cherries and simmer, covered, for 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
- Dust warm babka with icing sugar and top with whole cherries. Drizzle with a little of the cherry syrup. Serve slices with the remaining syrup, remaining cherries and vanilla ice-cream or cream.
Nutritions of Cherry and chocolate babka with cherry port drizzlefatContent: