No one will suspect this is a healthier take on a creamy chocolate custard tart. Were in love with this choc-orange combo!
The ingredient of Bitter chocolate and orange custard tart
- 55g (1/3 cup) sunflower seed kernels
- 165g (1 3/4 cups) rolled oats
- 50g (1/3 cup) buckwheat flour
- 30g (1/4 cup) raw cacao powder
- 60ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 60g (1/4 cup) coconut oil
- 1 orange, rind finely grated
- Orange rind, finely grated, extra, to serve
- Raw cacao nibs, to serve (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons gluten-free custard powder
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 80ml (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- 400ml reduced-fat milk
- 1 orange, rind finely grated, juiced
- 30g dark chocolate (70% cocoa), chopped
The instruction how to make Bitter chocolate and orange custard tart
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan forced and grease a 3cm-deep, 24cm (base measurement) fluted tart tin with removable base with coconut oil.
- Process the seeds and 1 cup of the oats in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the buckwheat flour, cacao, maple syrup, oil, orange rind and remaining oats. Pulse until a sticky mixture forms. Press over the base and side of prepared tin. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until dry and crisp. Cool completely.
- For the custard, whisk the egg, egg yolk, custard powder, cacao and maple syrup in a heatproof bowl. Bring the milk just to the boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Slowly whisk milk into egg mixture until smooth. Stir in the rind and 100ml orange juice. Return to a clean saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 8 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in the chocolate until melted. Cool over an ice bath, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Spread the custard over oat base and place in the fridge for 4 hours or until set. Sprinkle with the extra rind and cacao nibs, if using. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of Bitter chocolate and orange custard tartfatContent: 276.523 calories
saturatedFatContent: 13 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 8 grams saturated fat
cholesterolContent: 7 grams protein