Create a fairytale Christmas for five loved ones with these crafty gingerbread boxes.
The ingredient of Gingerbread boxes
- 250g butter, at room temperature
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) treacle
- 1 egg
- 565g (33/4 cups) plain flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 375g pkt dark chocolate melts, melted
- 1 egg white
- 300g (2 cups) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 3 drops fresh lemon juice
- Silver cachous, to decorate
- Bought chocolates, to fill each box
The instruction how to make Gingerbread boxes
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter, brown sugar, caster sugar and treacle in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add the egg and beat until well combined. Gradually stir in the flour, ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda until a soft dough forms, adding a little extra flour if necessary. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 20 minutes or until slightly firm.
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Line 3 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Roll out half the dough between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper until 4mm thick. Cut fifteen 8cm squares from the dough, re-rolling as necessary. Bake on the prepared trays for 10-12 minutes or until light brown. Set aside on trays for 5 minutes to cool before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Reserve 5 gingerbread squares for the bases. Use a pastry brush to paint a thin layer of chocolate over the back of the remaining squares. Set aside until set.
- Beat the egg white in a bowl until foamy. Gradually beat in icing sugar For a gift to eat, box and all, make the seasonu2019s classic spice-scented sweet into a parcel filled with goodies. and lemon juice until a firm icing forms (if its too runny, add more sugar).
- Transfer icing to a piping bag fitted with a 2mm plain nozzle. Decorate the gingerbread squares with icing and cachous for the sides and lids. Set aside for 6 hours or overnight until set.
- Re-melt the remaining chocolate and spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 5mm nozzle. Place 1 reserved gingerbread base on a clean work surface. Use chocolate to join 2 sides to base. Stand in corner of a square cake pan until set. Repeat to join remaining 2 sides. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread squares and chocolate. Fill each box with chocolates. Top with lids.
Nutritions of Gingerbread boxesfatContent: