This incredible gingerbread creation is fun to make and decorate and makes a great gift!
The ingredient of Gingerbread gift boxes
- 100g butter, chopped
- 200g (1 cup) brown sugar, firmly packed
- 250ml (1 cup) honey
- 825g (5 1/2 cups) plain flour, sifted
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 200g pkt mixed boiled lollies
- 375g pkt white chocolate melts, melted
- 2 egg whites
- 300g (2 cups) pure icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
The instruction how to make Gingerbread gift boxes
- Stir the butter, sugar and honey in a small saucepan over low heat until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Combine the flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarb in a large bowl. Add the butter mixture and egg and stir until well combined.
- Turn dough onto a well-floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape into a disc. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour to rest.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Divide dough in half. For box panels, roll out 1 portion on a well-floured surface until 5-6mm thick. Cut two 10 x 10cm base squares. Cut eight 8 x 10.5cm side panels. Using picture as a guide, cut 4 ribbon holes on 4 side panels, and 2 ribbon holes on remaining side panels. Place on prepared trays. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool on trays for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Separate the lollies into colours. Place in sealable plastic bags. Wrap 1 bag in a tea towel. Use a rolling pin to hammer until finely crushed. Repeat with remaining colours.
- Roll remaining pastry portion, plus any scraps, on a well-floured surface until 5-6mm thick. Use an 8cm star-shaped biscuit cutter to cut stars from the dough. Place 6-8 biscuits on each lined tray.
- Use a 4cm star-shaped cutter to cut the centre from each biscuit. Place the smaller stars on trays. Bake for 5 minutes. Spread the crushed lollies in the hole in the larger biscuits (see note). Bake for 6-7 minutes or until biscuits are golden and lollies are melted. Cool on trays. Repeat with remaining dough and lollies.
- Spoon the melted chocolate into a sealable plastic bag. Cut 1 corner to make a small hole.
- To assemble boxes, pipe chocolate along 1 short side edge of 1 box side panel. Attach another side panel. Hold for a few minutes while it starts to set. Trim edges of 1 base square so they are straight. Using chocolate, attach the side panels to the base square. Repeat to attach another 2 side panels. Allow to set. Repeat to make a second gift box. Carefully thread the ribbon through the holes in the boxes to decorate.
- For the royal icing, beat egg whites until foamy. Beat in icing sugar and lemon juice.
- Place in a piping bag with a 3mm nozzle. Decorate boxes and stars with icing. Set aside to set. Fill boxes with star biscuits.
Nutritions of Gingerbread gift boxesfatContent: