Did you know? Gubana is an Italian cake that, according to tradition, is baked for holidays and family festivities such as Easter, Christmas and weddings.
The ingredient of Gubana
- 3 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- pinch salt
- 100g butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 egg, lightly whisked, extra, for brushing
- 1 cup raisins, chopped
- 1/2 cup marsala (see note)
- 1 cup walnuts
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 oranges, rind finely grated
- 100g dark chocolate, finely grated
- 1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons water
- pink food colouring
The instruction how to make Gubana
- Combine flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add milk. Heat for 1 minute, or until lukewarm. Add warm milk mixture and eggs to flour mixture. Use a flat-bladed knife to mix until dough almost comes together.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place into a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 2 hours (dough will rise slightly).
- Make filling: Place raisins into a bowl. Heat marsala in a saucepan over low heat until warm. Pour over raisins. Set aside for 1 hour. Process walnuts, hazelnuts and pine nuts until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Add orange rind, chocolate, raisins and liquid to nut mixture. Stir until well combined. Grease a 20cm (base) springform pan.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Roll out to a 30cm x 50cm rectangle. Spread filling evenly over dough, leaving a 2cm border around edges. Starting from one of the longer sides, roll up like a Swiss roll. Use your hands to gently roll log out to form a 70cm-long log. Place log into cake pan and coil into a snail shape. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 170u00b0C.
- Brush gubana with egg. Bake for 1 hour, or until cooked through (you may need to cover with foil after 30 minutes if it starts to brown too much).
- Make icing: Combine icing sugar, water and food colouring. Drizzle over warm gubana. Cut into wedges. Serve.
Nutritions of GubanafatContent: 793.002 calories
saturatedFatContent: 38 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 9 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 92 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 57 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 14 grams protein