Wave your wand and add some magic to your next kid’s party with these playful unicorn cupcakes. They’re also gluten and egg-free so no-one need miss out.
The ingredient of Gluten and egg-free unicorn cupcake lolly cups
- 11/3 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 60g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup light-flavoured extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Pure icing sugar, for dusting
- 300g white ready-to-roll icing
- Gluten-free gold edible glitter, to decorate
- 8 cups assorted gluten and egg-free lollies, to serve
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups gluten-free icing sugar mixture
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Pink, yellow, green and blue food colouring gel
The instruction how to make Gluten and egg-free unicorn cupcake lolly cups
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Line a 12-hole, 1/3-cup-capacity muffin pan with paper cases.
- Sift flour and cocoa into a large bowl. Add sugar and chocolate. Stir to combine. Make a well. Add oil and vanilla to well (do not stir). Place milk in a large jug. Add bicarbonate of soda and vinegar. Lightly whisk with a fork until frothy. Add to well. Stir until mixture is smooth and combined. Divide mixture among prepared pan holes. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cakes spring back when lightly pressed. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, line a baking tray with baking paper. Lightly dust a work surface with pure icing sugar. Knead white icing until smooth. Using 10g of icing at a time, roll into 8 x 20cm logs. Twist 2 logs together and cut into 3 x 5cm lengths. Shape 1 short end of each twist into a point to form horns. Place on prepared tray. Repeat with remaining logs. Roll 24 pea-sized balls from remaining white icing. Using picture as a guide, flatten into ear shapes (about 1.2cm x 2cm). Place on prepared tray. Stand horns and ears for 2 hours or until firm.
- Make Buttercream: Using an electric mixer, beat butter for 5 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Gradually add icing sugar mixture, beating constantly until combined. Beat in milk. Divide icing into 4 portions. Using food colouring, tint one portion pink, one portion yellow, one portion green and one portion blue. Spoon each colour into separate snap-lock bags. Snip-off 1.5cm from 1 corner of each bag.
- Place a 30cm long piece of plastic wrap on a at work surface. Pipe a strip of each icing, side by side, lengthways along the centre of plastic wrap. Starting from 1 long side, gently roll up plastic wrap to enclose icing. Trim one end of plastic wrap to expose icing. Place plastic wrap, cut-end first, into a large piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm-fluted nozzle. Using the picture as a guide, pipe icing onto cakes, refilling piping bag with more icing as needed.
- Using a small dry paint brush, lightly brush horns and ears with glitter. Using the picture as a guide, push 1 horn and 2 ears into the top of each cupcake. Sprinkle cupcakes with a little extra glitter. Divide lollies evenly among plastic cups. Top with cupcakes. Serve.
Nutritions of Gluten and egg-free unicorn cupcake lolly cupsfatContent: 595.11 calories
saturatedFatContent: 30.3 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 15.2 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 79 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 3.2 grams protein
sodiumContent: 32 milligrams cholesterol