All your favourite florentine flavours are recreated in these beautiful little tarts.
The ingredient of Florentine tarts
- 40g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 40g caster sugar
- 1-1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- 50g almond meal
- Melted chocolate, to drizzle
- 125g plain flour
- 75g unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure icing sugar
- 150g caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (50g) flaked almonds
- 1 tablespoon red glace cherries, diced
- 1 tablespoon green glace cherries, diced
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped mixed peel
The instruction how to make Florentine tarts
- For the praline, place a large piece of foil on a baking tray and grease with butter. Place sugar and 2 tablespoons cold water in a saucepan over low heat and stir with a wooden spoon until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and cook, without stirring, for 10 minutes or until a golden caramel colour (brushing down sides of pan occasionally with a damp pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals forming). Stir in almonds, cherries and peel, and pour mixture evenly onto foil. Allow praline to cool and set, then break into shards.
- Grease six 8cm loose-bottomed tart pans. For pastry, place flour, butter and sugar in a food processor and pulse until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough cold water to bring dough together into a smooth ball. Enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 15 minutes.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured board until 5mm thick. Use a 12cm cutter to cut 6 rounds from pastry, then use to line tart pans. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190C. Line tarts with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat together butter, egg and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer for 2 minutes until pale and thick. Fold in flour and meal with a metal spoon.
- Remove the baking paper and weights or rice from the tart shells and fill with almond-meal mixture. Return to oven for a further 10 minutes until filling is firm.
- Leave tarts to cool for 2 minutes, then decorate with praline shards and drizzle with melted chocolate.
Nutritions of Florentine tartsfatContent: 489.711 calories
saturatedFatContent: 26 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 11 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 55 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 37 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 7 grams protein
sodiumContent: 84 milligrams cholesterol