We came across the inspiration for these in a 1950s New Zealand cookbook. Theyre surely one of the country’s greatest exports!
The ingredient of Afghan biscuits
- 250g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup NESTLu00c9 BAKERS CHOICE Cocoa
- 1 2/3 cups plain flour
- 2 1/2 cups cornflakes
- Walnuts, to decorate
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons hot water
The instruction how to make Afghan biscuits
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease 2 large baking trays and line with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add cocoa and flour. Beat on low speed until combined. Stir in cornflakes. Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Flatten slightly. Place onto prepared trays, 4cm apart, to allow room for spreading during cooking.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until just firm to the touch, swapping trays halfway through cooking. Cool completely on trays.
- Make Chocolate icing: Sift the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Gradually stir in enough hot water until the mixture is smooth and combined.
- Spoon icing onto the tops of the biscuits, spreading slightly (see note). Decorate with walnuts. Set aside for 1 hour to set. Serve.
Nutritions of Afghan biscuitsfatContent: 163.476 calories
saturatedFatContent: 9.1 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 4.7 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 18.9 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 1.8 grams protein
sodiumContent: 12 milligrams cholesterol