The ingredient of Neenish tarts
- 225g (1 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 120g butter, chilled, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons iced water
- Plain flour, to dust
- 315g (1 cup) raspberry jam
- 80g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered gelatine
- 100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 230g (1 1/2 cups) icing sugar mixture
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon milk, extra
The instruction how to make Neenish tarts
- Preheat oven to 200u00b0C. Place the flour and butter in the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and iced water, and process until the mixture just comes together.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth. Divide into 2 equal portions. Use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll out 1 portion to 3mm thick. Use an 8cm-diameter round pastry cutter to cut out 6 discs. Line six 80ml (1/3-cup) capacity muffin pans with pastry. Repeat with the remaining dough. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make the mock cream, combine sugar, milk and cold water in a saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Place boiling water in a heatproof jug, sprinkle over gelatine and whisk with a fork until dissolved. Add gelatine mixture to the sugar mixture and stir to combine. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool. Use an electric beater to beat butter and vanilla in a bowl until white and creamy. Add the sugar mixture in a thin steady stream and beat until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside until required.
- Remove muffin pans from the fridge. Use a fork to prick bases of pastry cases. Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack for 15 minutes to cool.
- Place jam in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the jam melts. Strain the jam into a heatproof jug and pour into pastry cases. Set aside for 5 minutes to set.
- Spoon mock cream evenly among pastry cases and smooth the surface.
- To make the icing, combine the icing sugar and milk in a medium heatproof bowl. Place half the icing in another heatproof bowl. Add the cocoa and extra milk and stir until combined. Place the bowl containing the white icing over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until runny. Spread the white icing over the cream on half of each tart and smooth the surface. Set aside for 5 minutes to set. Repeat with the chocolate icing and set aside for 5 minutes to set.
Nutritions of Neenish tartsfatContent: